Scholarships & Finances
Scholarships & Finances
This page is designed to give you more information on the tuition fees, available scholarships, and educational grants.
Germany often has a reputation for being a somewhat cheap place to study. This is mainly because of the very low tuition fees compared to most other popular study destinations. However, this is not the full story and before you apply for MAP you should consider very carefully the financial costs of carrying out a Master’s programme in Germany. In addition to general fixed expenses such as living costs or study materials, foreign students have to face costs for travel, fees for visa applications and translations and so on. There are various websites which give information for prospective students regarding the cost of studying in Germany. E.g. the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) or the website Studying in Germany give a good overview. Furthermore, you should ask any friends or former colleagues who are studying here about what costs you can expect to face.
A YouTube-video on how to get a scholarship in Germany by FAU students delivers many helpful insights.
CRC1452 Equal Opportunity Fellowship
CRC1452 Equal Opportunity Fellowship for pursuing a Master’s degree at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
The Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) 1452 – “Catalysis at liquid interfaces” invites applications for an Equal Opportunity Fellowship. Eligible are international female applicants to one of the involved study programmes at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg that have been admitted for start in Winter Semester 2023/24. Candidates for the following master programmes can apply for the fellowship:
Advanced Materials and Processes (https://www.map.tf.fau.de/)
Chemical and Biological Engineering (https://www.cbi.studium.fau.de/studieninteressierte/masterstudium/)
Chemical Engineering – Nachhaltige Chemische Technologien (https://www.cen.studium.fau.de/studieninteressierte/masterstudium/)
Clean Energy Processes (https://www.cep.study.fau.eu/master-m-sc-clean-energy-processes/)
Materials Science (https://www.mat.studium.fau.de/)
Molecular Science (https://www.chemistry.nat.fau.eu/studying/chemistry-molecular-science/msc-chemistry-msc-molecular-science/)
Physics Advanced (https://www.physics-advanced.de/)
The fellowship explicitly aims to support excellent female students with an interest in the research topics of the CRC. Holders will be able to establish close contacts with the involved projects and researchers of the CRC and to get to know the scientific topics in detail. Subject to suitability of the fellowship holder and if both parties are in agreement, the CRC will recruit the holder on completion of the Master’s programme into the doctoral programme of the CRC.
The following support is offered by the fellowship:
- Financial support: 934 Euro/month over 12 months, starting with the start of the winter semester 2023/24.
- A student assistant position will be offered as a continuation of the financial support in the second year, upon successful completion of the academic requirement of the first academic year.
- The fellowship holder will also receive for the entire duration of the Master’s programme (4 semesters):
- Student associate membership in the Integrated Research Training School of the CRC and, with this, full access to all training offers and funding measures provided by the programme
- Admission to all training offers and support measures provided by the equal opportunity programme
- Scientific mentoring by a professor involved in the CRC1452
- Priority offers of mini-projects or master thesis topics relating to the research fields of CRC
- Participation in all (semi-annual) CRC status meetings including board and lodging
- Prospects for a doctoral position within the Collaborative Research Centre, subject to motivation and scientific performance
The fellowship holder is expected to
- Participate in the CRC status meetings and programme offers of the Research Training Group
- Conduct at least one practical project (miniprojects or master thesis) in a research group involved in the CRC
- Contribute to PR measures (reports / articles for websites, participation in information events)
- Eligible are excellent female applicants for a Master’s degree in a degree programme at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg with relevance to the CRC, with a start in WS2023/24
- A selection interview for the fellowship will take place after screening of candidates
- Based on the interview process, the CRC 1452 Executive Board will select the fellowship holder
- The following criteria are used to select the fellowship holder:
- Scientific excellence (as demonstrated by academic grades in the respective Bachelor’s programme)
- Additional relevant qualifications and activities (conference attendance, additional studies, publications)
- CRC 1452-specific expertise and motivation (theoretical or practical knowledge in catalysis, interface sciences, characterisation of nanomaterials, spectroscopy, or relevant simulation methods)
- Required financial support to be able to participate in the degree program at FAU
The successful applicant will be issued with a letter of confirmation for presentation at the German embassy / consulate during the visa application process (if required). This letter will be made available to the applicant electronically. If necessary, the CRC administration can send this letter directly to the relevant embassy / consulate, quoting the visa processing number of the fellowship holder.
How to apply?
Your application should contain a CV, all relevant certificates, a confirmation of enrolment in one of the Master’s programmes mentioned above, and a motivation letter describing your interest in the scientific environment of the CRC and your relevant expertise.
Please submit your application as one pdf file, labelled with your First and Lastname and a file size not exceeding 15 MB using the header: “Application for CRC1452 Fellowship” to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is 15 June 2023.
For more information about the CRC 1452 and the Equal Opportunity Fellowship, visit the career opportunities section of the CRC 1452 website.
A very limited number of scholarships are awarded by the MAP programme for the duration of one year on a competitive basis with regards to several different criteria such as study performance and need. If you would like to apply for one of the scholarships, please indicate this on your personal electronic application form at campo. In addition, you need to write a short motivation letter, elaborating why you apply for the scholarship. The application deadline for the MAP scholarships is 31 March 2023.
FAU Germany Scholarships (to be confirmed)
FAU Germany Scholarships
FAU supports its top students as part of the Germany Scholarship (Deutschlandstipendium) programme. Each semester, scholarships of 3,600 euros for one year are awarded to the most gifted students. The unique feature of this scholarship is that half of the money comes from companies, donors, friends of the university and alumni, while the other half is provided by the German Federal State.
Students at FAU can apply for a Germany Scholarship once a year. Funding amounts to 300 euros per month and is initially granted for two semesters (the winter semester and the subsequent summer semester) which can be extended annually (from the next winter semester) until the end of the standard duration of the degree programme. Students must apply again to receive an extension.
The application period for 1 October 2023 to 30 September 2024 is most likely from 15 June to 15 July 2023.
More information is available on the FAU Germany Scholarship website.
Since we are not able to fund all our students and since the competition is fierce, we highly recommend that you also look for other external funding possibilities. Amongst others, the scholarship database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers a broad variety of information regarding this matter.