Important Information about the Application Process
The application for the MAP programme of 2022 is open between 3 February and 1 June 2022. We strongly recommend non-EU-citizens to apply until 31 March 2022 to provide sufficient time for confirmations, registration and visa affairs.
We welcome applicants who have not yet completed their Bachelor’s degree, under the conditions that 140 ECTS are credited in the current Transcript of Records.
We do not pre-assess applications. All applications are academically evaluated by the MAP Admission Board, following an official and complete application.
The application status in the course of the pre-admission process can be seen online at www.campo.fau.eu.
The application deadline is 1 June 2022. Non-EU citizens are encouraged to submit their applications until 31 March 2022, to have sufficient time for their visa applications. The application deadline for the MAP scholarships is 31 March 2022, whereas applications for the CRC1411 Equal Opportunity Fellowship and the CRC1452 Equal Opportunity Fellowship are accepted until 15 June 2022. The application period for the FAU Germany Scholarships for the winter semester 2022/23 is most likely from 15 June 2022 to 15 July 2022 (confirmation to follow shortly). Please be aware of the different application procedures for these scholarships.
Application Procedure for 2022
In the following, we provide you with information about a successful application and insights into our selection process. Please make sure to read carefully and follow the steps in your application. As there can be additional information during the application process, we encourage you to visit this website again before finalizing your application.
- Familiarize yourself with FAU’s general guidelines for applying to a Master’s programme. We recommend to use the “Checklist – International” in order to have everything to hand when you start your application.
- Please apply via the FAU online application form using our application portal campo. FAU provides an instructional video on YouTube on how to use campo. On campo, you can switch between English and German language by using the button on the right bottom corner. Submit your supporting documents by uploading them in the indicated manner, some of them are required as official translations and certified copies. Be aware that some documents are mandatory and you will not be able to complete your application if you do not upload the requested documents as a PDF file. We encourage you to upload rather small documents; files exceeding 5 MB will be rejected by the system. Only applications with correctly named documents can be considered during the selection / admission process.
All documents must be submitted as scanned copies (PDF format) or pictures (JPG, JPEG, PNG format; e.g. for the results of English language tests). It is important to use the following file names for the documents:
content: Short letter explaining your motivation (see also our FAQ: Short cover letter)
content: CV / Resumé (including an up-to-date picture)
content: High school/secondary school leaving certificate or university entrance certificate. The transcript of courses attended with corresponding grades should be included
content: English university degree certificate(s) / English transcript(s) of records. The transcript of courses attended at university with corresponding grades provided as English language version.
Applicants must present their final Bachelor’s degree certificate before enrolling.
content: Transcript of courses attended at university in original language
- MAP06_TOEFL_YourFamilyName_YourFirstName (respectively IELTS or other evidence)
content: IELTS or TOEFL score report if the previous degree was not conducted in English. If the courses at university have been taught in English, please send the authentication of the university
- MAP07_Language_YourFamilyName_YourFirstName (if any)
content: Certificates of English or German language courses taken
content: APS certificate (for applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam only)
content: Motivation for scholarship application. Only if you want to apply for a MAP scholarship and only until 31 March
- MAP1x_xxx_YourFamilyName_YourFirstName for any further documents
content: Certificate(s) of e.g. industrial internship(s) attended, additional transcripts of records, etc.
- If you need to change the documents you have already uploaded on the electronic system campo, please follow FAU’s general instructions. Please note that once we have started processing your application, you will no longer be able to change your documents or upload others.
- First round of selection: The MAP Admission Board ranks the applicants, assesses general qualifications and selects candidates for the second round.
- Second round of selection: In-person interview with two MAP professors via internet video call to assess general knowledge, interdisciplinary interest and problem-solving skills.
- Decision of the MAP Admission Board on academic programme admission and information of the applicant.
Be aware that a positive result of the Admission Board needs to be confirmed by the Universities Master’s Office. The Master’s Office (L4 – Office for Admissions and Scholarships, Master’s Office) formally assesses and validates the undergraduate degree for the general enrollment in a Master’s degree at a German University. After this step, final admission will be granted provided that all formal criteria are met.
This information is especially important for applicants from private universities and e.g. the following countries: Albania, China, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Nigeria, Pakistan, Vietnam.
Due to time constraints, we recommend that you apply for a visa at the latest after receiving the positive result from the MAP Admission Board, even if the official admission has not yet taken place.
- FAU formally admits the applicant. An official admission confirmation will be issued via campo.
- The student matriculates for the programme and starts the MAP programme.
The selection process is highly selective and a maximum of 30 students are selected from more than 600 applicants each year. We encourage you to send your application as early as possible!
If you have been studying at one of the universities participating in MAP, please contact the MAP application team at map-applications(at)fau.de prior to sending your application.
It is only possible to apply to MAP once.